Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
The Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering Program at the Visayas State University started its curriculum offering in first semester of SY 2008-2009 under the Special Programs Unit by virtue of BOR Resolution No. 49, s. 2008. In 2009, the College of Engineering and Agro-Industry (CEAI) was renamed to the College of Engineering by virtue of BOR Resolution No. 74, s. 2009. The Department of Civil Engineering, which was officially created under the College of Engineering, started to implement, develop, and monitor the offering of BSCE Program in 2010.
The Department of Civil Engineering is mandated to provide an integrated educational experience in mathematics, basic sciences, and civil engineering design as well as provide students with the knowledge and skills in construction. VSU started offering the civil engineering curriculum in 2008. Albeit relatively new, the department has since earned at least 85% passing rate in professional board examination for civil engineers.
- Excellence in Civil Engineering;
- Novel research program responsive to the advancing civil engineering industry;
- Pro-active development and extension program relevant to the needs of the stakeholders; and
- Appropriate civil engineering innovations that are significant for economic development.
- Develop competent faculty, constantly upgrade curriculum, and procure and maintain state-of-the-art facilities;
- Attune research, development and extension agenda, improve manpower, secure funding, and upgrade facilities; and
- Support patenting and/or copyright of mature innovations produced by the department.
Program Educational Objectives
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs) are statements that describe what graduates are expected to achieve within 3-5 years after graduation. These program objectives are based on the university’s Vision and Mission, and the needs of its constituencies. The following are the PEOs of the Department of Civil Engineering:
- Provide leadership in planning, implementing, and monitoring of civil engineering projects and programs.
- Occupy supervisory positions in private and public organizations; locally and internationally.
- Own and manage civil engineering-based business enterprises.
- Pursue advanced studies in civil engineering and emerging related fields.
- Occupy responsible positions in civil engineering education.
a. Apply knowledge of mathematics and science to solve complex civil engineering problems;
b. Design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
c. Design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints, in accordance with standards;
d. Function in multidisciplinary and multi-cultural teams;
e. Identify, formulate, and solve complex problems;
f. Understand professional and ethical responsibility;
g. Communicate effectively complex civil engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large;
h. Understand the impact of civil engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context;
i. Recognize the need for, and engage in life-long learning;
j. Know contemporary issues;
k. Use techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for civil engineering practice;
l. Know and understand civil engineering and management principles as a member and leader of a team, and to manage projects in a multidisciplinary environment; and
m. Understand at least one specialized field of civil engineering practice